Monday, June 2, 2008

The Somewhat Official Update

So I have had quite a few inquiries lately as to what has been going on in our family lately, and what are plans are for the future. Some of you just wanted clarity on where we are going and what we are doing when we leave the great town of Nacogdoches. Others are dear friends whom we had lost contact with and recently found. Who knows, maybe there are even some Blog browsers here. Anyways, for all those who have been wondering, I will try to remember everything.

For the past two years we have been living in Nacogdoches, Texas, where Dan has been pursuing a Masters Degree in Psychology. He has been doing great, accomplishing a perfect 4.0 the entire time, and will be graduating on August 9th. After his graduation he will be starting school at UNC Chapel Hill to begin a PhD program in Educational Psychology. With this he is hoping to teach Psychology on a University level. He has been very blessed in his Master's program go have the opportunity to teach a few classes. This summer term he is teaching a General Psychology class while finishing up his Thesis, an extremely vague description of the topic is motivation and stereotype threats. If you want to know more you will need to ask Dan, lol. I don't claim to be smart enough to understand it all.

My story isn't quite as interesting, lol. I tried to go back to school when we first moved here, but that was short-lived. Since SFA was lacking an Architecture program I decided that I try out Interior Design. I liked it a lot, but after one semester found out I was pregnant with Kate. Seeing that I had been sick nearly everyday throughout Sarah's pregnancy, and thought that Kate's would be the same, I decided it would be best not to continue. However, the pregnancy was completely opposite and I was hardly sick the entire time. Oh well, I got plenty of quality time with Sarah before Kate came along. Most recently I have been "broadening my horizons" so to speak. In the past 6 months I have made 2 wedding cakes, started making and selling Handmade Photo books, Embellished Sandals, and Tile Photo boards at the local Farmer's Market and Flea Market, am trying to create a blog store for selling my crafts, and am taking an online Medical Transcriptioning Course (Transcriptioning is a job that you can do from home, and my past medical classes are really helping me out.)

Sarah was 7 months old when we moved here, and was instantly the most popular child in the ward. We have sometimes joked that seeing Sarah made everyone want to have babies, because about a month and a half later tons of the women started becoming pregnant, including me. While I was pregnant with Kate, if we told Sarah to give the baby kisses she would kiss my stomach. When Kate was born Sarah would always put her finger to her mouth and say shhhh, baby sleeping. Ever since Kate has been born she lights up Sarah's world. Sarah is a great big sister, and is very intelligent. She loves to sing and dance, and loves anything to do with the Disney princesses.

Kate (Katelyn Gayle) was born June 26, 2007, just 18 months and 1 week after Sarah. She is now almost 1 and is running just as fast as she can to keep up with her big sister. She has a mouthful of teeth and loves to eat. She probably eats at least twice what Sarah does. She is trying to talk quite a bit, but you can't understand hardly any of it. Occasionally she does get out a clear word though. Her favorite thing is to blow on anything she can find to create a "farting" noise. It is actually kind of shocking how good she is at it. She also has just started trying to do the actions to "The Wheels on the Bus" and "Popcorn Popping". It is so fun to watch her learn and grow.

The past couple years has also brought a few tragedies.

A year and a half ago my brother Nate was in a car accident in which he received extreme brain damage. He was in a coma for quite a while, and the doctors were not sure if he would make. However, I am proud to say that he is recovering amazingly and is currently attending BYU-Idaho. He no longer has therapy and seems to be happier than ever.

The most recent tragedy happened the week after Thanksgiving. This is when we found out that Dan's younger brother had passed away while attending BYU. He was a very brilliant young man who was loved by everyone around him. We miss him very much.

Anyways, I think that pretty much sums up the past couple of years. I hope I didn't bore any of you with my lengthy ramblings, lol.

5 comments:

Matt said...

This is Megan by the way. WOW a lot has happened since we last saw you guys, but it sounds like you have been very blessed. Sorry to hear about your brothers'. I had no idea that was Dan's brother, I remember reading it in the Daily Universe. You guys will have so much fun in N.C. Matt's cousin and wife have 2 little boys and they live in Knightdale, N.C. It's so good to hear from you! Your little girls are sooo adorable.

Kathy said...

It's so great to hear that you guys are all well. Your girls are SO cute. We've got a little boy and girl about the same ages. Your blog looks great Beckie! Wish I could figure out how to make mine cute... I'm so sorry to hear about Alan. That's got to be tough. I lost my niece about the same time. It puts a hole in the family but also brings everyone closer together. It's good to hear that your brother, Nate pulled through.

Unknown said...

Hey its Shayda from Church, I just thought I would say that you will be missed here! I had no idea you had a blogspot either :]

MossPosse said...

Beckie- it was nice to have such an informative post for my first glimpse at your blog. I'm glad you found mine and left a comment. I'll have to peek over here on occasion! I can't believe you have two little girls that are getting so big- such fun!

MossPosse said...

Beckie- it was nice to have such an informative post for my first glimpse at your blog. I'm glad you found mine and left a comment. I'll have to peek over here on occasion! I can't believe you have two little girls that are getting so big- such fun!

PS: My little guy is going on 6 months.