Monday, November 10, 2008

Accident Prone . . . or . . . Lacking Intelligence?

Anyone that knows me knows that I am constantly doing dumb things and getting hurt. I have always just chalked it up to being accident prone, but I think yesterday's occurrence might be more of a lack of intelligence. I mean, I have been burned before, many of times.

One of the first times I remember was when I tried to make scones and forgot about them while they were cooking. They caught on fire, so I took the pan outside to dump it our on the ground, and dripped the oil down my thumb. Then there was the time when I worked at KFC (my first job while I was in high school), when I went to get the Macaroni and Cheese out of the oven and stupidly forgot to use an oven mitt. Or the time when I decided to try waxing my eyebrows and put the wax in the microwave too long, so when I put the stick in it exploded all over me (and ruined my favorite shirt). And of course all the countless times when I am baking and accidentally touch the pan. In fact, just a month or so ago I burned my hand pretty bad, not nearly this bad, when I grabbed the pizza pan out of the oven without a mitt.

It isn't just burns either. It doesn't matter what I am cutting or chopping, but there is this one knife that I always use, because it is the best, that I cut myself with every time. You would think I would get rid of the knife, or better yet, quick cooking and stay away from the kitchen. But, seeing that I love to bake and cook, that's difficult. You would think that I would learn from all the times I have been burnt and cut and not do it again, yet here I am today, with a huge burn all over my arm, and you ask, well, how did you do it this time.

Well, my stove doesn't work quite right. So in order to cook, I have to use a tiny burner with my big pan. To do this I have to turn the stove to high so that it will actually heat up. So I did this, and then poured in the olive oil. You would think when it started to smoke I would have realized it was too hot, and turned down the stove. But smart me didn't, and put a piece of chicken in the pan. Since the pan was bigger than the burner, the oil was all gathered at one side. So when I put the chicken into the pan, the oil tidal waved out of the pan and clear up my arm. And this, is the result.

So you tell me, I am accident prone, or just lacking in intelligence!

By the way, after soaking my arm in cold water and ice for about 9 hours yesterday, I did get to sleep, and today, I have little feeling in the burn area. So, very little pain today.

Oh, and the scar on my arm is from a car accident 3 1/2 years ago. Boy am I going to have a good looking arm or what!



7 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh Beckie, that looks SO painful; I am so sorry that happened! Sheesh, burns hurt so badly. But, on the upside, your scar looks great! We are matchy matchy on that :)
I hope your arm heals very quickly. So not fun. And, it could have happened to anyone-my vote is accident prone :).

Natalia said...

OMG! I can't believe how brave you are. I hate feeling pain and will go to great lengths to avoid it (e.g. I won't even pull something out of the microwave without hot pads bc I'm scared that it'll be too hot and I'll get burned even though I always put things in "microwave-safe" dishes and so theoretically only the food should get hot, not the sides of the dish)

Kathy said...

OUch!!! That looks so painful. rub lots of aloe on it, lavender oil is good too. I'm sorry that you burned yourself but I'd have to say I think you're accident prone. You seem pretty smart to me plus you're a Taylor...

Heather said...

WOW BECKIE! When you said you burned your arm, you really burned your arm! Burns are so painful! I'll be praying your arm feels better soon.
I'll have to tell you the time that I got attacked my the mixer while in the kitchen making chocolate chip cookies. I joke around saying that I'm allergic to the kitchen! LOL, I can't enter that room without something bad happening to me! :)

Katy said...

Oh Beckie!!! You need to stop hurting yourself! I remember one "accident prone" event from college...do you remember when you fell down icy steps near our apartment??? We thought you had a seizure too. Scary!

Michelle Cox said...

I can't even believe these photos!!!!! I hope it's healing up well! What are your plans for this Saturday? I'll be at the Farmers Market freezing my tushie!

Mel said...

becky that looks awful!! i can't believe it. and i totally remember when you got in that car accident. remember i came and saw you at the hospital?! :) time sure flies....